Welcome back to the final day—Day Five of our online video devotionals with Pastor Robert Morris. We hope you have enjoyed these messages and that they have served to help you grow in the area of living free of strongholds that would otherwise try to hold you back from fulfilling all God has for you to accomplish in this life! To hear the rest of this series, click here and you'll be directed to this series on Gateway Church's Website. But for now...on to our teaching for today!
By the authority of Jesus Christ, every believer can be set free from spiritual bondage. God has given us keys on how to be set free.
Key Scripture: Luke 15:11–3
The parable of the Prodigal Son teaches us four keys to being set free:
- Recognize that you need help.
The Prodigal Son had squandered his wealth. He “came to his senses” and returned to his father’s home to ask for help. In the same way, we can only get free when we admit that we have a problem.
- Repent to God and to others. (Matthew 5:23–24; James 5:16)
To repent means to change our minds about sin, about who God is and about who He created us to be. Repentance is a lifelong process. When we repent to others, it brings our sin out of darkness (where Satan works) and into the light.
- Renounce the lies of Satan.
Every bondage begins with a lie. Often, Satan lies to us about our identity.
- Receive the gifts of the Father. (Isaiah 61:10; Luke 10:19; Acts 1:8)
We have the righteousness of Christ. We have been given authority over all the power of the enemy. We have the power of the Holy Spirit inside of us.
Watch the video below, review the questions, and share responses in the "Leave a Reply" area at the bottom of the page!
- Which of the two sons do you most identify with in the parable?
- Why do we have trouble admitting we’re in bondage?
- Read James 5:16. Confessing our sins to another person is humbling and can be painful. Have you ever experienced the healing that comes from doing this? If you are comfortable, share your story with the group below. (It’s okay to speak in general terms without sharing details!)
- What are some of the lies that Satan tells us about who we are? In practical terms, how do we renounce those lies?
- There is beautiful imagery in a robe of righteousness, a ring of authority and shoes of power (the Holy Spirit). How do these three gifts help us to be set free?