Hi, ladies! We are so glad you were able to join us at our women's event on Friday evening! It was a great start to a truly eXtensive subject that can make a huge difference in how freely we can walk through this life! It's our hope that the online video devotionals we offer here will be a great way to continue to eXpand our understanding of what spiritual bondage is and how overcome those strongholds that may have been keeping us held back!
Pastor Robert Morris of Gateway Church in South Lake, Texas, has taught extensively on this subject. This week, we will listen to one of his messages every day, for five days, then discuss our thoughts in the comment section below. These videos are actually just a portion of his message series, "Free Indeed." So at the end of the week, we will post a link so you can access the rest of those teachings later.
“Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed” (John 8:36).
Key Scriptures: Mark 5:1–20; Luke 10:17–21
In order to be free as God intends for us, we must understand the following:
- There really are demons.
One-third of the angels fell from heaven with Satan when he rebelled against God. These fallen angels are demons. We read in Mark chapter 5 about a man who was under the influence of a multitude of demons and how that bondage affected him.
- Demons really do enter people.
Demons come only to steal, kill and destroy (John 10:1, 10). A Christian cannot be possessed by a demon in the sense of being owned, but a Christian can be under the control or influence of a demon.
- Jesus really does cast demons out.
Jesus cast out demons when He ministered to people. Also, He has given us authority as believers to do the same (Matthew 8:16; 9:32–33; 17:18; Mark 3:14–15; 6:12–13; 16:17; Luke 10:17–21).
So scroll down to watch video number one, "Under the Influence." Then, after viewing, scroll a bit further to discover a few discussion questions for us to consider and share, as we feel comfortable doing. Your responses can be left in the "Leave a Reply" area at the bottom of this page.
- What stood out to you from this message?
- What beliefs were you taught regarding the supernatural? Do you have a background that caused you to believe demons are not real? Or were you raised in a culture of superstition, with not only a belief in demons but also a fear of them? Or was casting out demons in Jesus’ name part of your experience?
- What are some indications we might be under the influence of a demon?
- Read the story of the demon-possessed man in Mark 5:1–20. What was the turning point in the story? What did the man do to be set free? What did Jesus do?
- Have you ever been set free from demonic influence in your life? Was it an immediate healing, or did God take you through a process? If you are willing, tell your story to the group in the comments section below.